From Missouri History Museum
8th MO Infantry (US)
Company F

NOTE: towards the end of the Civil War, many soldiers' terms of enlistment expired, and the 6th Missouri and the 8th Missouri were consolidated.
The following information comes from Marc Truab, of Oregon City, Oregon:

My Great-Great-Grandfather was assigned to the 8th Co. F in January of 1864.   He was a Sergeant from the 6th Missouri Co. F Infantry.   He was a guard at brigade headquarters until his term expired in (I believe) June of 1864.

My Great-Great-Grandfather was Scottish.   His name was George Stratton.   After the war he went to Kansas with a fellow Scotsman, David Mortimore, and homesteaded on the Solomon River.

George Stratton came from Aberdeenshire, Scotland in 1857.   He was in New Jersey for a while, and I am not sure how he ended up in St. Louis.

After the Civil War George went to Kansas with fellow soldier and Scotsman, David Mortimore (Mortimore had been a Lieutenant in the 6th Missouri).   They ended up in present day Ottawa County on the banks of the Solomon River.   They fought Indians that raided that valley --- George allegedly tracked down two Indians that stole his winter supplies and drowned them in the Solomon.   Anna Brewster Morgan, who was taken and held captive by the Cheyenne, was a next door neighbor of George Stratton.

David Mortimore and George, with about 20 other early settlers, built a stockade and stayed there for months until the Indian trouble subsided.   Some of George's land was directly in front of what came to be known as "Indian Lookout," a popular landmark near the Solomon River in Ottawa County.

George took a trip back to Scotland and married Jessie Young in the 1870's.   Together they had 6 children, 5 girls and a boy.   In 1883 they made a trip back to Scotland and my great-grandmother was born while they were there.   We have a photo of the kids in kilts that they purchased while visiting.

Jessie died in 1892, suddenly.   George remarried shortly thereafter to Alice Shaw White.   The property he had was sold mostly to a nephew and some of those Stratton descendants still have much of that land.   Most of George's daughters took their inheritance and moved out west to Oregon.   One daughter, Jessie, lived in Colorado all of her life.   George's son lived in California.

George Stratton became very successful raising cattle and crops.   He was associated with the "Riverside Stock Farm."   He ended up owning about 2,700 acres and the "Delphos Milling Company."

George retired to Minneapolis, Kansas, and died there in 1907.   He is buried in the Highland Cemetery and has a Civil War GAR gravestone.